Using our “MF” as a cleanser.
So last spring or so, I wanted to create a cleansing oil for oily, congested and acne-prone skin. As I did my research, I was delighted, and a little annoyed, to discover that our super multi-purpose Meadowfoam Everybody oil was pretty much the perfect oily skin cleanser. No fun… that meant I didn’t get to create something new!
The main reason MF makes an excellent cleanser for congested skin is it’s high percentage of Linoleic acid, an important unsaturated fatty acid that people with acne often lack in their skin. Without linoleic acid, skin easily becomes congested as sebum becomes thicker, waxier, easily clogging pores. By introducing linoleic acid from plant oils, in this case MF’s non-GMO, organic sunflower oil (which is one of the highest-rated in LA among plant oils), skin becomes balanced again, sebum production normalizes and skin still reaps the benefit of being cleansed with nourishing oils. Linoleic acid is also anti-inflammatory, protects skin from UV damage (both which play a role in acne), fades hyper-pigmentation and is anti-microbial. Another important, juicy little tid-bit about Linoleic acid is that the deficiency is acne-prone folks is not dietary, so the topical application is the best way to help heal skin.
Although MF may not be ideal for those with severe, cystic acne, it’s perfect for mild to occasionally moderate acne or congested skin prone to blackheads. (If you have any reaction to cocoa or Shea or coconut oils, this isn’t the one for you as this multi-use oil contains these nourishing gems as well.)
- Apply a few drops of Meadowfoam Everybody oil in the palm of your (just washed!) hands.
- Smooth all over face and neck, massage it in well (because it’s sooo nice!)
- Use a Konjac or a warm, wet washcloth, and press into skin. Gently wipe away all dirt, grim and woes.
- Follow with a toner made for oily, acne-prone skin, such as our White Willow Bark perfecting tonic .
- Follow with a moisturizer suitable for your skin, such as our Cypress Purity + Defense oil, which is excellent for oily skin types.
- Enjoy your smooth, cleansed skin!
- Repeat daily. 🙂